Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cloth Diapers

Well...I have finally decided to do the environment a favor, not to mention my pocket book too! Thanks to my wonderful and dear friend Nicole, (visit her blog @ http://nicolesspirit878.blogspot.com/) I have been throwing the idea around to switch Miley over to cloth diapers. After doing some research and learning that a regular disposable diaper can take over 500 years to decompose in a land fill, I am now favoring cloth.
I have studied and researched the cost savings and found that even with the discounted Pampers diapers I have found online, we still pay around $35 (on average) for a package of 184 diapers. After researching and trusting my friend Nicole's experiences I have found that the Kawaii Cloth Diaper is the most cost efficient and has the best reputation. They even make a camo one ;)
The Kawaii Cloth Diapers run anywhere from $6.99 to $7.75 with the exception of one style that costs $11.20 each. FREE SHIPPING most of the time! 184 diapers lasts Miley roughly a month (give or take). I figure Miley will be in diapers till she is at least 2 years of age. She is 8 months old now, so that is 16 more months of diapers. Doing the math, that totals $560 we will be spending on diapers. I'm guessing we have already spent at least $300 - $400 in diapers since her birth. If I buy Miley enough diapers to last her all week (without having to wash a load mid week) I would probably have to buy 40 cloth diapers. Because of the range in price, I am going to use the average price of $8 each and leave out the $11.20 style. I am assuming I will only be purchasing a couple of those anyway (because some of the designs are really cute). So if I purchase 40 cloth diapers @ $8, the total would be $320.

That is a savings of $240. However, I would not have to purchase 40 diapers. I could purchase only 20 and do a load of diapers mid-week. That would only cost me $160...a savings of $400. This of course is all based on Miley potty training at 2 years old.


After looking though the Kawaii diapers that are available, I have found 21 diapers for $163.28 (the majority ranging around the $7 price). Here are just a couple that I liked!!

It disgusts me that I didn't do this earlier. The amount of money that we would have saved from the start would have been GREAT! Nicole tried to talk me into it, but I just couldn't justify coming up with that much money to start with. Now, I have definitely realized that buying ahead or buying in bulk SAVES A TON!
*Sorry, Nicki, for not taking your word!*
I guess I am posting this blog to help encourage the use of Cloth Diapers. They really do save so much money and are so much better on the environment. I wouldn't consider myself "green", but I try to help the environment when it benefits me. ;)



I know most of you are saying to yourself that you just don't have the time or patients to work with Cloth Diapers, or you are picturing the old school cloth diapers that your mother may have used (with pins). They have come such a long way!!! I have a full-time job with two kids. This IS doable for me! Just like the hesitations I got from people when I told them I was going to make my own baby food for Miley. It really doesn't take that much extra time. (Unless you are a family that eats microwaveable meals or you order out all the time.) Making Miley's food literally fits in with making supper. No extra time needed! The longest part of it is waiting for the food to boil, steam, or bake (however you choose to make it), but while you are waiting for that you can do anything else you need to.

Thank you for listening...you may now form your own opinion and feel free to let me know it in a comment!! =)


Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is my favorite post thus far! I love that you are finding something that is gong to work for you! YEAH!!!

    ReplyDelete